We have many support services in place at Hillcrest to help our students with their academic, emotional and social needs. In order to ensure that our referral process is streamlined and that the services we provide build upon, rather than duplicate, one another, we initiated a Coordinated Service Team (CST).
The CST is a learning support umbrella that brings together all support service providers at Hillcrest. The CST focuses on students referred by classroom teachers and coordinates respective programs and services to promote each child’s academic success. The CST provides early identification, assessment, referral, support and service coordination for students experiencing academic, attendance, behavior/social, or health problems that impact school success. In addition, school-wide issues, such as truancy and school climate are addressed.
Since the inception of the CST four years ago, the team has continually worked to
improve its efficacy with regards to both its referral system and ease of accessibility to teachers. The team is also continually expanding the list of resources and supports we are able to offer our students, their families and our staff.
The CST is comprised of our two social workers, family outreach worker, behavior
specialist, speech therapist, literacy specialist, resource teacher, assistant principal, school nurse, school psychologist and after school director.
Some of the common interventions used are:
- Fast track to after school program
- Student Success Team meetings
- Health assessment and referral services to health care providers and agencies
- Health education in groups and the classrooms, such as asthma, puberty, dental, nutrition, child safety and violence prevention
- Referral for academic and/or psycho-educational testing
- Small group work
- Individual therapy
- Academic interventions
- Help with behavior planning
- Family conferencing
- Family outreach
- Referral to appropriate outside agencies